Skip to main content

A Moment To Remember



World may celebrate Mother’s day. But here’s what I want to honor and thank my parent what they’ve done to me.

When a man discovers he’s going to be a father, a million thoughts run through his head at once. “Am I ready for this? What if I don’t raise him right? Can we even afford to have a kid?” As time goes on, these panicky thoughts give way to the deeper questions, such as “What do I want my child to know?” We are all want our children to grow up to have the best life they possibly can. 
 
And this struck of childhood memories hit me last night.
 
So let me use this writing to embrace what was bugging my head so I can never be bothered again by them. A suitable alteration to speak up what really in mind. Because you know, what’s in your head sometimes had to be said so it can matter.
 
I remember. On one fine occasion, my father was being asked about his job by my mother’s big family and how he handled such matter. I forget what was he briefly answer that time. But what I remember, is the time he grabbed me and tell my grandma about what really matter for him. He said that his job (and my mom’s) should not limit their right and time to raise me. That everything they did, is solely on the purpose of having me right as a human. They let me learn to speak what really matter. 
 
And it ended up hard on me as a child. That I should know how to stand up for what I believe in. However, this doesn’t mean they should learn to be obnoxious and only focused on getting their way. 
 
Another moment I remember is the first time my mom leaving me for my first day of pre-elementary school. She said nothing that day.  And she stands strong out there seeing me entering the class. But much much later on just I knew, she was crying inside. Not to mention my dormitory period on junior high that I cried publicly though, but what I learn is that as strong as you think women is, the strongest one hide theirs in front of their children. They want their heir to show tenacity of doing something for a better good even if it’s hard. Yea, normal parents did not easily let themselves only see their child once in a half year, right?
 
Last few days, I see there’s a kiddo bringing his gadget to the prayer place. After the praying’s done he shared some games with his playmate. But accidentally the gadget falls off. You know what interesting? He does not seem to care. He said his parent will eventually fix it. And he said it without any significant hesitation. Screw this child, my mind told me. Doesn’t he understand the value of ownership his parent cultivates in handing him a pricy thing?
 
In a time in which instant gratification is so widespread, it’s important for parents to show their children that dedication and hard work takes a while to pay off. Including give a child responsibility to keep what they own. They should also should lead their children to understand the satisfaction that is felt when a job has been done, and done well. It’s something, isn’t it.
 
I am the kind of person who often (if not all the time) forget the small thing of an event. By I guess If the memory is that deep carved in your heart, everyone could be their best history teacher. 
 
I have clear vision on the day when for the first time my room were separated with my sister. The initially storage room were conjured into a handful cute little room of mine. The pink and soft-green (or a turquoise) paint decorates the room. And there’s a small spot for a household tool left that can’t be removed elsewhere. Since that day, although I have a maid that time, my mother specifically told me that the cleaning of the room is solely on me. And I should ask nothing nor someone to help me do it. I happened to contribute a clean environment myself.
 
It’s a nice thing having a nice parent who nicely teach you how to nicely life, right?
 
One moment I also remember is when me as a child speaking up or working toward completing a task. I remember being told to assist my little sister with her project. My rather-quiet fathers communicate the importance of sticking with the pursuits. That the only giving up is giving in, and admitting defeat. My father done it really well.
 
For I also remember being tied up with some cloth when “imp” is the subtlest term to describe what I did that time. I “stole” my parent’s money and guess how long they tied me up? The time between ashr and dhur xD Poor little Diba.
 
Nobody is perfect. Unfortunately, children are often incredibly insecure about their shortcomings, and fixate on imperfections. For example, young children often think they’re “not good at math” or “not a good reader.” For me, it more of a “I hit a girl in classroom” and “I ran from immunization at school.” But my parents tackle that issue well. They let me being comfortable with who I am. They truly listen. They challenge me and insult me more as I misbehaved. Luckily, it worked for me.
 
Many times, children are so afraid of failing that they don’t even get started on the path to success. Fathers need to be there to support their children when they’re feeling insecure or inadequate. They need to instill in them the idea that failure is not the end of a journey, but just a bump in the road. When children see failure not as a roadblock, but as a stepping stone, they’ll make the most out of every experience in their life, whether it be positive or negative.
 
And as much as I really want to write more, I think that’s it for now. Thinking forward to continue it. One thing I believe that whatever Mother’s day or Father’s Day be celebrated upon certain day, I believe it shouldn’t.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tentang Kreasi dan Konsumsi

Bagaimana kita mencerna berpengaruh terhadap kualitas aksi yang kita lakukan. Apa yang menjadi asupan kita bertindak sebagai bahan bakar semangat. Dan kapan aksi yang kita lakukan menjadi gambaran bagaimana hidup akan berjalan.

Ayah yang Khawatir

Menurutku, semakin kita bertambah dewasa, beberapa istilah yang kita kenal dari kecil akan berubah perwujudan konkretnya di kepala, antara melebar dan mendalam. Kita tidak lagi terpaku hanya pada makna harfiah saja. Istilah hanya digunakan untuk mengerecutkan maksud komunikator kepada komunikan. Pemahaman komunikan, lagi-lagi dipengaruhi  oleh perubahan tersebut.